Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Power Plant Operator is $30.26
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Power Plant Operators?
An entry-level Power Plant Operator with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $23.10 based on 16 salaries. An early career Power Plant Operator with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $27.01 based on 92 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Power Plant Operators Do?
Power plant operators control and operate machinery that generates electric power. They are also responsible for maintaining these machines, which also includes auxiliary equipment, steam engines, air compressors, and generators. They also work with turbines (including steam turbines) that provide light and heat for other buildings.
Power plant operators check water gauges and steam gauges, as well as regulate the distribution of steam throughout the system. They must control the temperature …Read more
- Oversee, coordinate, and maintain power plant operations.
- Maintain documentation of changes in the function of equipment, rainfall data, and general operating instructions.
- Communicate with branch offices involved in the operation of the power plant to relate status, data, and observations.
- Make regular inspections of the turbine, generator, boilers, or other plant equipment.
- Coordinate the operation of plants, dams, and stream flow in order to meet contracted power requirements.