Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a School Counselor is $51,762
What is the Pay by Experience Level for School Counselors?
An entry-level School Counselor with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $45,613 based on 108 salaries. An early career School Counselor with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $48,691 based on 488 salaries. A …Read more
What Do School Counselors Do?
School counselors are tasked with helping students achieve academic goals and personal, social, and professional development; they also help improve new students’ adjustments to school. Those who work in high schools may help students with college choices and serve as liaisons between students and college recruiters.
School counselors work closely with parents/guardians of problematic students and may work with students in either individual or group settings, or both. They may meet …Read more
- Communicate with students, identify obstacles to progress, and work together to overcome them.
- Identify and communicate special needs and mental health challenges.
- Consult with parents or teachers on appropriate strategies, communication methods, and obstacles.
- Intervene in dangerous, challenging, or stressful situations to provide a peaceful, safe environment.
- Listen to students and enable them to connect with support services, teachers, parents, and others.