The average salary for a Senior Attorney in San Diego, California is $130,000.
Is Senior Attorney your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$80k - $345k
$80k - $345k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Senior Attorney
A great deal of legal work, including both civil and criminal litigation, is done with teams of lawyers. A senior attorney is the person who helps to manage such teams. He or she is normally a partner in a firm or a high-level specialist retained by one. The senior attorney typically directs the preparations of the team in representing a client. The senior attorney also represents the team when meeting with the legal representatives from the adversarial side of a case. Should the case be argued …Read more
Senior Attorney Tasks
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies, present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to initiate legal actions; evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments for presentation of cases.
- Analyze and interpret laws, rulings, and regulations with probable case outcomes for individuals and businesses.
- Advise clients in business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits or legal rights and obligations.
- Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges, and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
Explore the most common career paths for Senior Attorney. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
Senior Attorney Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Senior Attorney
Litigation Case Management
Pay by Experience Level for Senior Attorney
An experienced Senior Attorney with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $130,000 based on 8 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $84,000.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Senior Attorney in their job title in San Francisco, California earn an average of 34.6% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Seattle, Washington (25.0% more) and Washington, District of Columbia (6.6% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Los Angeles, California (11.6% less), Chicago, Illinois (10.0% less) and Atlanta, Georgia (5.4% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 12 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$41k - $102k
$50k - $157k
$32k - $70k
$33k - $70k
$49k - $123k
$42k - $76k
$44k - $170k
$34k - $69k
$48k - $111k
$54k - $135k