Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Senior Software Engineer is $122,735
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Senior Software Engineers?
A mid-career Senior Software Engineer with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $121,129 based on 7 salaries. An experienced Senior Software Engineer with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $125,016 based on 5 salaries.
What Do Senior Software Engineers Do?
A senior software engineer typically has a background in computer science, web development, and/or engineering. A bachelor's degree in any of those fields is generally considered a plus, as is experience working in web development. Some abilities they might have are a strong attention to detail, an ability to multitask, and an ability to work independently and on a team. Senior software engineers usually work in an office. They may work with other people to complete projects, but staying …Read more
- Test and document software for client applications.
- Guide and review work of junior engineers.
- Translate business requirements into technical specifications and help manage project priorities and timelines.
- Write, modify, and debug software for client applications.
- Use source debuggers and visual development environments.