Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Veterinary Assistant is $13.91
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Veterinary Assistants?
An entry-level Veterinary Assistant with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $13.20 based on 6 salaries. An early career Veterinary Assistant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $13.78 based on 89 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Veterinary Assistants Do?
The veterinary assistant primarily assists veterinarians in a practice with animal care. Often, it involves working side by side with the veterinarian to administer vaccinations, draw blood for testing, or otherwise generally assist in examinations and care. In certain situations, they are called upon to assist the veterinarian in surgical procedures as well.
The veterinary assistant may have office duties as well in some practices. They may help with scheduling appointments, work as a liaison …Read more
- Interact with animals, staff and owners to determine care plans move animals to designated locations.
- Train owners in drug administration, preventative maintenance and post-procedure care.
- Inventory equipment and medications to determine ordering needs and availability.
- Maintain animals, including feeding, cleaning, administering drugs and documenting care.
- Support examinations by obtaining data and ensuring a safe environment.