Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Winemaker is $68,314
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Winemakers?
An entry-level Winemaker with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $40,000 based on 7 salaries. An early career Winemaker with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $52,618 based on 22 salaries. A mid-career Winemaker …Read more
What Do Winemakers Do?
Winemakers, also known as "enologists," are responsible for the oversight of producing wine at all stages, from selection of grapes for harvesting to the final transfer of products to bottling or storage for aging. Winemakers use a scientific approach to determine acidity, sweetness, sulfur, and sulfite levels within a wine which equate to its overall quality and "drinkability" for consumers. Winemakers require extensive training to ensure their judgement of grapes' quality, as well as …Read more
- Oversee wine production, including when vintages are ready for sale.
- Lead wine tastings and represent the organization at events.
- Control inventory and address shortages with creative solutions.
- Oversee storage and bottling, including temperatures and hygiene.
- Conduct quality control and identify flavors and sources of flavors to recommend wines and improve production.