Avg. Base Salary (ZAR)
The average salary for a Blaster is R342,000
What Do Blasters Do?
Blasters work with large machinery in a rather risky position, as they must examine the strength needed to blast surfaces such as buildings, quarries, and underground mines.
Blasters typically mark areas and drilling holes before the actual blast occurs. They then pack these holes with explosives (ranging from dynamite to black powder) to compact a charge, and connect a wire from the explosives to a plunger that will detonate when a button is pushed. This work is typically performed outdoors …Read more
- Detonate explosives to destroy structures and loosen and move heavy materials.
- Keep records of blasts and an inventory of explosives and blast devices.
- Operate supplemental power equipment, such as drills and jackhammers.
- Insert explosives manually into intended area of demolition.
- Calculate amount and type of explosive, blast pattern, and blast intensity to employ based on structure analysis.