Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Curator, Museum is $48,147
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Curator, Museums?
An entry-level Curator, Museum with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $40,588 based on 10 salaries. An early career Curator, Museum with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $42,584 based on 29 salaries. A mid-career …Read more
What Do Curator, Museums Do?
A curator, museum is the person in charge of most of the content displayed and acquired by the museum he or she works for. The curator works to decide what is shown in the museum and how it is displayed, as well as the context and placement of the exhibition. Curators are specialized by the type of museum, and facilities dedicated to art, history, anthropology, or physical science will all have at least one person in this managerial position with an extensive, strong background and set of …Read more
- Oversee the operation of the museum and off-site area storage.
- Build rapport with donors and potential donors, and negotiate to acquire specific collections or individual items.
- Assist in developing programs and special events.
- Assist in developing a long-term plan for rotating exhibits with the goal of reaching new and diverse audiences.
- Coordinate with the collections committee to ensure additions follow the museum's collection philosophy.