Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Curator is $50,684
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Curators?
An entry-level Curator with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $34,984 based on 10 salaries. An early career Curator with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $45,695 based on 86 salaries. A mid-career Curator with …Read more
What Do Curators Do?
Curators are professionals who oversee and manage a collection of some kind, typically related to art or science. They are often employed by museums, galleries, and universities but may be employed by any organization that has a valuable collection requiring care by someone with expertise in a particular field. They are expected to have at least a basic knowledge of the collection, as well as the ability to determine the best way to care for the pieces in it.
Duties may include daily physical …Read more
- Oversee the operation of the museum and off-site area storage.
- Build rapport with donors and potential donors, and negotiate to acquire specific collections or individual items.
- Assist in developing programs and special events.
- Assist in developing a long-term plan for rotating exhibits with the goal of reaching new and diverse audiences.
- Coordinate with the collections committee to ensure additions follow the museum's collection philosophy.