The average salary for a Gemologist in Atlanta, Georgia is $41,252.
Is Gemologist your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$0 - $41k
$0 - $40k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Gemologist
A gemologist, also known as a jeweler or gem expert, works with and identifies precious stones and gems. The main tasks of a gemologist are carefully studying certain gems and stones, using microscopes and other magnifying equipment, and determining the gems’ make, value, and authenticity. Although they might work independently on occasion, gemologists usually work at a jewelry store in the back room, where gem and stone identification and examination is done. Gem cutting can also be involved …Read more
- Examine and identify gemstone materials using standard, high tech, and specialty gemstone testing equipment.
- Write articles for industry publications and newsletters.
- Keep abreast of latest gemological information within the industry.
- Assign preliminary conclusions to gemstone grading reports or provide back-up to preliminary reports.
- Input gemstone identification information in information system.
Explore the most common career paths for Gemologist. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
Gemologist Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Gemologist in their job title in San Diego, California earn an average of 93.9% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in San Francisco, California (43.0% more) and Los Angeles, California (33.3% more).