Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Gemologist is $49,853
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Gemologists?
An entry-level Gemologist with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $39,548 based on 8 salaries. An early career Gemologist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $44,494 based on 35 salaries. A mid-career Gemologist …Read more
What Do Gemologists Do?
A gemologist, also known as a jeweler or gem expert, works with and identifies precious stones and gems. The main tasks of a gemologist are carefully studying certain gems and stones, using microscopes and other magnifying equipment, and determining the gems’ make, value, and authenticity. Although they might work independently on occasion, gemologists usually work at a jewelry store in the back room, where gem and stone identification and examination is done.
Gem cutting can also be involved …Read more
- Examine and identify gemstone materials using standard, high tech, and specialty gemstone testing equipment.
- Write articles for industry publications and newsletters.
- Keep abreast of latest gemological information within the industry.
- Assign preliminary conclusions to gemstone grading reports or provide back-up to preliminary reports.
- Input gemstone identification information in information system.