The average hourly pay for a Gemologist in Chicago, Illinois is $24.57.
Is Gemologist your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
$0 - $25
$0 - $10,000
$0 - $62,250
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Gemologist
A gemologist, also known as a jeweler or gem expert, works with and identifies precious stones and gems. The main tasks of a gemologist are carefully studying certain gems and stones, using microscopes and other magnifying equipment, and determining the gems’ make, value, and authenticity. Although they might work independently on occasion, gemologists usually work at a jewelry store in the back room, where gem and stone identification and examination is done. Gem cutting can also be involved …Read more
- Examine and identify gemstone materials using standard, high tech, and specialty gemstone testing equipment.
- Write articles for industry publications and newsletters.
- Keep abreast of latest gemological information within the industry.
- Assign preliminary conclusions to gemstone grading reports or provide back-up to preliminary reports.
- Input gemstone identification information in information system.
Gemologist Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Gemologist in their job title in San Francisco, California earn an average of 5.8% more than the national average. The lowest salaries can be found in New York, New York (37.2% less), Seattle, Washington (26.7% less) and San Diego, California (19.1% less).
Related Job Salaries
$41k - $102k
$32k - $70k
$12k - $43k
$24k - $74k
$28k - $53k
$28k - $55k
$33k - $68k
$30k - $60k
$34k - $69k
$32k - $63k