The average salary for an Experienced General Manager in New York, New York is $84,000.
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education Find your market worth with a report tailored to you Negotiate your pay with confidence
What Do General Managers Do?
The position of a general manager requires leadership qualities and the ability to oversee a business and lead a team of employees. General manager positions can vary greatly, as most places of employment require some sort of management position, but the job's main requirements are the ability to run various tasks throughout the day, motivate others, and be responsible for a team of staff.
Depending on the employer, most general managers work indoors in an office setting doing paperwork, creati…Read more
General Manager Tasks
- Plan, develop and implement the operational strategies and tactics.
- Ensure adequate management training and development to provide for management succession.
- Direct and lead staff in developing strategies to accomplish objectives approved by ownership.
- Plan, control, communicate and implement procedures and processes for the overall efficient operations of the business.
- Lead and direct executive management team in the development, production, promotion of products and services.
General Manager Job Listings
What Are Popular Skills for General Managers?
Skills in Operations Management, People Management and Budget Management are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Customer Service and Team Leadership.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for General Managers?
An early career General Manager with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $53,778 based on 10 salaries. A mid-career General Manager with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $88,951 based on 11 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $122,449.
Pay Difference by Location
Employees with General Manager in their job title in Los Angeles, California earn an average of 4.8% more than the national average. The lowest salaries can be found in Dallas, Texas (24.4% less), Houston, Texas (17.5% less) and Atlanta, Georgia (15.3% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 37 survey responses.
More Cities for General Manager