Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Legal Secretary is $67,249
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Legal Secretaries?
An early career Legal Secretary with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $50,980 based on 9 salaries. An experienced Legal Secretary with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $77,587 based on 9 salaries. In their late career (20 …Read more
What Do Legal Secretaries Do?
Legal secretaries work primarily for lawyers’ offices and courts to perform secretarial duties and provide legal support services to attorneys. They must file materials, such as motions, briefs, memorandums, pleadings, etc. at various court systems in a timely manner, as well as maintain appointments and remind lawyers to see clients. They may need to interview clients, either on the phone or in-person prior to referring them to their lawyers. They are generally tasked with typing and editing …Read more
- Organize and maintain law libraries, documents and case files.
- Schedule appointments, answer phones, make photocopies, draft and type office memos.
- Mail, fax, or arrange for delivery of legal correspondence to clients, witnesses and court officials.
- Assist attorneys in collecting employment, medical and other records.
- Prepare and process legal documents and papers; summonses, subpoenas, complaints, appeals, motions and pretrial agreements.