Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Museum Director is $50,244
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Museum Directors?
An early career Museum Director with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $38,599 based on 24 salaries. A mid-career Museum Director with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $41,549 based on 30 salaries. An experienced Museum Director …Read more
What Do Museum Directors Do?
Museum directors oversee the activities in a museum, particularly the acquisition and storage of the museum's collection. They are also involved in the process of securing artifacts, including negotiations and transactions, as well as exchanging and loaning artifacts to other organizations. Some also direct exhibitions put on by the museum, which may involve traveling with the exhibition.
Museum directors often specialize in a specific area. For example, a director of a natural history museum …Read more
- Coordinate, lead, and oversee all activities of the museum staff and volunteers.
- Coordinate with conservation staff to determine the best conservation treatment procedures and priorities.
- Review existing and establish new procedures and protocol for collections care and conservation.
- Plan and develop the museum's and each department's operating budget.
- Act as point of contact for conservation issues and advocate for the care of the collection.