Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Parks and Recreation Director is $59,287
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Parks and Recreation Directors?
An entry-level Parks and Recreation Director with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $40,913 based on 11 salaries. An early career Parks and Recreation Director with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $51,478 based …Read more
What Do Parks and Recreation Directors Do?
Parks/recreation directors are generally hired by cities and towns. If hiring, local governments seek individuals who can fulfill the duties of overseeing parks/recreation programs. Ideal applicants should have a Bachelor's degree, usually in Park Management, Public Administration, or a related field. A Master's degree is more preferable, but not necessary for the position. Many organizations require at least four years of experience supervising staff in park management or other relevant work. …Read more
- Develop and implement plans for the parks and recreation system, and direct the collection and analysis of data to support planning.
- Under the direction of the city manager operate a city's park system and recreational programs.
- Facilitate communication of parks and recreation department activities, programs, and projects to the public.
- Oversee parks and recreation staff, assign tasks, supervise work, and provide training.
- Administer the parks and recreation budget to ensure that funds are spent efficiently and projects remain within budget.