Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Patent Attorney is $108,500
What Do Patent Attorneys Do?
A patent attorney works in a company to ensure that its patents adhere to standard protocols and are defended against infringements. The position requires the candidate to have a law degree and to have passed the bar exam in the state in which the company is located. Additionally, certain companies look for lawyers who have studied engineering, biological, or other technology-related fields.
One responsibility of a patent attorney is to analyze all current company products (either released or …Read more
- Discuss invention and research the likelihood of successfully attaining a patent.
- Litigates patent infringement controversies in court.
- Works with federal patent examiners to resolve any patent related issues.
- Describe inventions in strict legal terms and drafts patent application; challenge, negotiate, resolve and amend contested patent areas.
- Analyze scientific and technical documents previously granted patents to determine if invention is new, innovative and does not infringe upon patented items.