The average salary for a Patent Attorney with Technical Analysis skills is $127,743.
Is Patent Attorney your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$89k - $208k
$90k - $233k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Patent Attorney
A patent attorney works in a company to ensure that its patents adhere to standard protocols and are defended against infringements. The position requires the candidate to have a law degree and to have passed the bar exam in the state in which the company is located. Additionally, certain companies look for lawyers who have studied engineering, biological, or other technology-related fields. One responsibility of a patent attorney is to analyze all current company products (either released or i…Read more
Patent Attorney Tasks
- Discuss invention and research the likelihood of successfully attaining a patent.
- Litigates patent infringement controversies in court.
- Works with federal patent examiners to resolve any patent related issues.
- Describe inventions in strict legal terms and drafts patent application; challenge, negotiate, resolve and amend contested patent areas.
- Analyze scientific and technical documents previously granted patents to determine if invention is new, innovative and does not infringe upon patented items.
Explore the most common career paths for Patent Attorney. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
Patent Attorney Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Patent Attorney
Intellectual Property (IP)
Skills in Intellectual Property (IP), Prosecution and Biotechnology are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Legal Research and Technical Writing.
Pay by Experience Level for Patent Attorney
An early career Patent Attorney with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $122,449 based on 8 salaries. A mid-career Patent Attorney with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $152,921 based on 7 salaries. An experienced Patent Attorney with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $179,000 based on 7 salaries.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 22 survey responses.