Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Pipelayer is $17.60
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Pipelayers?
An entry-level Pipelayer with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $14.50 based on 12 salaries. An early career Pipelayer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $16.85 based on 203 salaries. A mid-career Pipelayer …Read more
What Do Pipelayers Do?
Pipelayers are specialized construction workers who are typically among the first workers engaged in new construction. They are tasked with digging trenches and slots in the ground and dropping in pipe that will connect houses and businesses in new construction to water and sewer main lines. In projects that involve large areas like new subdivisions or business parks, pipelayers also help install storm drains and drainage pipes that carry away excess ground water. Pipelayers also work in the …Read more
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints.
- Install and repair sanitary and storm water sewer structures and pipe systems.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for sealing.