Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Postmaster is $70,813
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Postmasters?
An entry-level Postmaster with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $59,953 based on 8 salaries. An early career Postmaster with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $62,460 based on 33 salaries. A mid-career Postmaster …Read more
What Do Postmasters Do?
Postmasters oversee the operation of a post office. They are often the heads of individual branches, and will report to a regional manager of post office operations. At least a few years of prior experience may be required for this position; because it is a managerial position, supervisory experience may also be required.
Postmasters must be knowledgeable of all postal rules, policies, and laws, and ensure that all employees adhere to them, as well. Strong record-keeping, filing, and …Read more
- Organize and supervise activities related to the delivery and protection of public mail.
- Educate the public of available services, postal laws and postal regulations.
- Prepare and submit detailed and summary reports of post office activities to supervisors.
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate employees and their performance.
- Direct operations, management, and supportive services of one or a number of post offices.