Avg. Base Salary (ZAR)
The average salary for a Winemaker is R382,340
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Winemakers?
An early career Winemaker with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of R240,000 based on 8 salaries. A mid-career Winemaker with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of R303,329 based on 28 salaries. An experienced Winemaker with 10-19 years …Read more
What Do Winemakers Do?
Winemakers, also known as "enologists," are responsible for the oversight of producing wine at all stages, from selection of grapes for harvesting to the final transfer of products to bottling or storage for aging. Winemakers use a scientific approach to determine acidity, sweetness, sulfur, and sulfite levels within a wine which equate to its overall quality and "drinkability" for consumers. Winemakers require extensive training to ensure their judgement of grapes' quality, as well as …Read more
- Oversee wine production, including when vintages are ready for sale.
- Lead wine tastings and represent the organization at events.
- Control inventory and address shortages with creative solutions.
- Oversee storage and bottling, including temperatures and hygiene.
- Conduct quality control and identify flavors and sources of flavors to recommend wines and improve production.