Director of Loss Prevention Salary
Job Description for Director of Loss Prevention
Directors of loss prevention work primarily in retail organizations in which merchandise is in high demand, and their work is essential to these organizations to prevent loss of inventory. They are responsible for investigating situations in which products may be missing or stolen, as well as overseeing other loss prevention officers and performing audits throughout departments to ensure nothing has been stolen. They also record daily, weekly, and monthly reports for company executives which provide useful data to develop strategies to prevent the loss of stolen merchandise.Read More...
Loss prevention directors provide training to employers and their employees to address ways to prevent theft throughout the store. They are also responsible for collaborating with other departments throughout the organization to construct and implement prevention strategies for all employees.
To become a loss prevention director, some employers may prefer applicants who have two to five years of work experience in loss prevention, criminal justice, or a related field. Some employers may require an associate's or bachelor's degree in criminal justice or a related field, and others may prefer applicants who are certified in loss prevention and have experience in interrogation and interview tactics.
Director of Loss Prevention Tasks
- Oversee store audits of merchandise and cash, and ensure audits comply with company policies and procedures.
- Supervise and direct a team of loss prevention personnel, and evaluate the performance of individuals and the department.
- Institute programs which reduce losses, such as discouraging internal dishonesty and teaching employees how to identify shoplifters.
- Develop and implement strategies and technology for reducing shrink in all of a company’s stores.
- Coordinate investigations of stolen merchandise, property, or cash, with local managers and the police.
Director of Loss Prevention Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for Director of Loss Prevention
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Directors of Loss Prevention with a lot of experience tend to enjoy higher earnings. Salaries of relatively inexperienced workers fall in the neighborhood of $55K, but folks who have racked up five to 10 years see a notably higher median of $69K. Directors of Loss Prevention claiming one to two decades of experience make an estimated median of $85K. Folks who have racked up more than 20 years in the field report incomes that aren't that much higher than less experienced individuals' earnings; the veterans make just $86K on average.