Health Care Assistant Salary
A Health Care Assistant earns an average wage of $13.97 per hour. Most people with this job move on to other positions after 20 years in this field.
Job Description for Health Care Assistant
Health care assistants are responsible for many tasks, including feeding, dressing, and washing patients, taking patients' vital signs, bed making, maintaining clinical stock items, and other methods of assisting patients. Health care assistants generally work in healthcare facilities such as hospitals and elder care facilities; their environment can be fast-paced depending on the number of patients and available staff members. They generally work alongside nurses, doctors, therapists, and other health professionals, but their top responsibility is working with patients. Health care assistants may work under a practicing nurse in a training program that allows them to obtain various qualifications to become a nurse themselves.Read More...
Employers generally require at least a high school diploma or GED. However, some employers may require health assistant certification and at least a year of experience. Health care assistants may work days or nights, full time or part time. Skills that generally help health care assistants succeed include being polite, treating patients with kindness, having a flexible schedule, and having the ability to work and communicate well with others.
Health Care Assistant Tasks
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- May assist with administrative duties including scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding for insurance purposes.
- Collect, prepare and log blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
- Interview and record patients' medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
Medical Assistant Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for Health Care Assistant
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Key Stats for Health Care Assistant
Rated 4 out of 5
based on 4 votes.