Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for an Airline Captain is $183,375
What Do Airline Captains Do?
Airline captains are responsible for safely flying the aircraft to its destination. In a commercial airliner, captains fly with a co-pilot who can fly the plane should something happen to the captain. The initial tasks performed by the captain before taking off include receiving weather information, conducting preflight checks on the navigation systems, and communicating with tower controllers to ensure no collisions occur. Once in the air, the captain and co-pilot rotate flying …Read more
- Lead flight crew, monitor and evaluate data before and during flight.
- Report and respond to emergency situations.
- Communicate with ground control and authorities.
- Evaluate situations and determine necessary changes to the flight pattern.
- Responsible for safely flying aircraft and for the safety of passengers and crew.