Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officer is $41,446 in 2023
What Do Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers Do?
Police patrol officers must complete a training program known as the "police academy" before beginning work. A degree is often preferred but not required, and different states and departments tend to have different requirements.
Generally, a person applies to become a police officer and is selected to attend the academy, where they are immediately hired upon completion of the program. A police patrol officer’s job is both mental and physical; they must pass a psychological exam as well as a …Read more
- Execute arrest warrants, locating and taking persons into custody.
- Record daily activities and submit logs and other related reports and paperwork to appropriate authorities.
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Investigate illegal or suspicious activities.
- Identify, pursue, and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
FAQs About Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers
What is the highest pay for Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers?
Our data indicates that the highest pay for a Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officer is $NaN / year
What is the lowest pay for Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers?
Our data indicates that the lowest pay for a Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officer is $NaN / year
How can Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers increase their salary?
Increasing your pay as a Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officer is possible in different ways. Change of employer: Consider a career move to a new employer that is willing to pay higher for your skills. Level of Education: Gaining advanced degrees may allow this role to increase their income potential and qualify for promotions. Managing Experience: If you are a Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officer that oversees more junior Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers, this experience can increase the likelihood to earn more.