Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officer is $55,496
What Do Police or Sheriff's Patrol Officers Do?
Police patrol officers must complete a training program known as the "police academy" before beginning work. A degree is often preferred but not required, and different states and departments tend to have different requirements.
Generally, a person applies to become a police officer and is selected to attend the academy, where they are immediately hired upon completion of the program. A police patrol officer’s job is both mental and physical; they must pass a psychological exam as well as a …Read more
- Execute arrest warrants, locating and taking persons into custody.
- Record daily activities and submit logs and other related reports and paperwork to appropriate authorities.
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Investigate illegal or suspicious activities.
- Identify, pursue, and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.