The average hourly pay for a Mid-Career Retail Pharmacist with Retail Pharmacy skills is $61.43.
Is Retail Pharmacist your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$41 - $67
$76,026 - $138,498
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Retail Pharmacist
A retail pharmacist is a licensed pharmacist who works in a retail pharmacy setting providing services to customers within the community. To become a retail pharmacist, a doctorate degree in pharmacy is required, which can take up to 8 years to complete. Licensing by the state board of pharmacy is also required to practice. The role of the retail pharmacist is extensive. The retail pharmacist obtains a list of medications currently taken from each patient, and compares each to currently prescrib…Read more
Retail Pharmacist Tasks
- Analyze prescribing trends to monitor patient compliance and to prevent excessive usage or harmful interactions.
- Dispense and review prescriptions to ensure accuracy, and compliance with professional, state and federal regulatory requirements.
- May collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review and evaluate patient effectiveness.
- Educate patient on medication use, storage and side effects.
- Solicit information from patients regarding past and current medication to prevent drug interactions.
Explore the most common career paths for Retail Pharmacist. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
Retail Pharmacist Job Listings
Pay by Experience Level for Retail Pharmacist
An entry-level Retail Pharmacist with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $54.47 based on 33 salaries. An early career Retail Pharmacist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $54.09 based on 30 salaries. An experienced Retail Pharmacist with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $61.53 based on 20 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $60.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 126 survey responses.