Cardiac Surgeon Salary
Job Description for Cardiac Surgeon
Cardiac surgeons are responsible for performing heart surgeries and other complex operations on patients with heart conditions. These surgeons must be organized and pay close attention to detail to facilitate surgeries, and they must work well in a team environment with other surgeons and medical professionals to complete all objectives under strict deadlines.Read More...
Cardiac surgeons must provide therapy recommendations for patients with arrhythmia and other heart illnesses and disturbances. They must maintain a positive attitude to interact well with patients, families, and other medical specialists to discuss treatment and recovery options, and they are also responsible for coordinating operating teams for transplants and using complex equipment to check vital signs. They must also be proficient in the analysis and interpretation of x-rays.
Other main responsibilities of cardiac surgeons include completing coronary bypasses, valve repair and replacement, and installing assistance devices. They use a variety of technologies to verify and analyze cardiac tissues before and after surgeries, and they are also responsible for recommending diets post-surgery and following up with any additional care for patients.
Heart conditions must be analyzed and the performance of cardiac organs are measured before and after intervention. These surgeons also order tests to verify that surgeries were successful and gather with other specialists to discuss research, clinical data, surgery invasion and options, and patients' medical histories. A medical degree with specialization in cardiology is generally required for this position, and many years of prior surgical experience with heart conditions are also common. Cardiac certifications are also helpful.
Cardiac Surgeon Tasks
- Provide operative, preoperative and critical care diagnosis, treatment and procedures for patients with pathological conditions of the chest.
- Communicate with families and patients regarding care plans and make referrals to other specialists as per the standard of care.
- Treat pathologic conditions of the lung, esophagus and chest wall, abnormalities of the great vessels, tumors of the mediastinum, and diseases of the diaphragm and pericardium.
- Treat complications of ischemic heart disease (for example, coronary artery bypass grafting), correct congenital heart disease, or treat valvular heart disease created by various causes including endocarditis.
- Provide surgical care of coronary artery disease, abnormalities of the great vessels and heart valves, congenital anomalies, tumors and diseases of the diaphragm.
Cardiovascular Surgeon Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for Cardiac Surgeon
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Pay Difference by Location
Related Job Salaries
Key Stats for Cardiac Surgeon
Rated 5 out of 5
based on 6 votes.