School Superintendent Salary
|Salary||$75,494 - $168,464|
|Bonus||$0.00 - $11,635|
|Total Pay (||$75,803 - $171,314|
Job Description for School Superintendent
A school superintendent is the head administrator of a school system. These professionals normally answer to the school board and are hired by that body; they also can be fired or dismissed by the school board. Superintendents are in charge of hiring principals for all schools in their district, and they have final say on dismissing teachers or disciplining employees. This job also requires the superintendent to work with the local school board to develop and maintain the yearly district budget. It also involves managing students and keeping up with problems that occur within student bodies.Read More...
The job is full time and requires work year-round, including during the summer when the schools are not in session. A typical day is long and full of problem-solving and meetings. This position requires substantial continuing education and learning as schools and educational techniques evolve over time. These professionals generally work in an office setting.
A superintendent normally has a post-baccalaureate degree in education or a related field. Many superintendents have previous teaching experience, and most have been principals in schools prior to becoming superintendent. These professionals need to have excellent communication skills and be able to manage a variety of people and groups.
School Superintendent Tasks
- Oversee district staffing, recruit personnel, plan and carry out staff evaluations, and administer HR programs and policies.
- Work with the school board to develop and put into action a district's policies, vision, and goals.
- Meet with school administrators, teachers, parents, and the community to discuss and implement district goals.
- Prepare the school district budget, ensure expenditures stay within school board limits, and develop procedures for approving expenditures.
- Manage school property, buildings, and infrastructure, monitor building maintenance, renovation, and construction.
Pay by Experience Level for School Superintendent
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Related Job Salaries
Key Stats for School Superintendent
Rated 5 out of 5
based on 17 votes.