Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Deputy Sheriff is $59,932
What Do Deputy Sheriffs Do?
Under the supervision of the sheriff’s office, the deputy sheriff assists in the enforcement of all state and local laws that ensure public safety. Depending on the individual reporting structure of each sheriff’s office, the deputy sheriff is likely to report to a sergeant or lieutenant in the office.The deputy sheriff is required to use sound and independent decision-making skills throughout the day. Situations that require these skills are sometimes dangerous, and the deputy sheriff must …Read more
- Enforce all local, state, and federal laws according to procedure.
- Conduct community outreach, education, and public assistance activities.
- Patrol assigned areas and operate department vehicles as needed.
- Perform various physical feats to aid in the capture and arrest of suspects and known criminals.
- Investigate all reports, accidents, criminal activity, and emergency situations.