Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Head Librarian is $53,830
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Head Librarians?
An early career Head Librarian with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $51,667 based on 25 salaries. A mid-career Head Librarian with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $54,648 based on 22 salaries. An experienced Head Librarian …Read more
What Do Head Librarians Do?
Head librarians can work for public libraries, university libraries, the Library of Congress, or school libraries. Head librarians are responsible for the daily operation of their library. They manage a collection of books and other media. They supervise library staff, library assistants, and library volunteers. They are also responsible for various administrative tasks. They are usually involved in establishing their library’s budget and employee’s salaries and benefits. However, large …Read more
- Manage library staff, budget, and policies, including goals for services and systems.
- Develop and guide instructional offerings for online and in-person services.
- Partner with internal and external groups to meet needs, build partnerships, and provide services.
- Oversee metadata and cataloguing to increase resource discovery and use.
- Manage and grow online and physical assets for lending, increasing accessibility and meeting demand.