The average salary for a Mid-Career Parks and Recreation Director with Operations Management skills is $56,389.
Is Parks and Recreation Director your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$41k - $82k
$0 - $2k
$41k - $81k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Parks and Recreation Director
Parks/recreation directors are generally hired by cities and towns. If hiring, local governments seek individuals who can fulfill the duties of overseeing parks/recreation programs. Ideal applicants should have a Bachelor's degree, usually in Park Management, Public Administration, or a related field. A Master's degree is more preferable, but not necessary for the position. Many organizations require at least four years of experience supervising staff in park management or other relevant work. S…Read more
Parks and Recreation Director Tasks
- Develop and implement plans for the parks and recreation system, and direct the collection and analysis of data to support planning.
- Under the direction of the city manager operate a city's park system and recreational programs.
- Facilitate communication of parks and recreation department activities, programs, and projects to the public.
- Oversee parks and recreation staff, assign tasks, supervise work, and provide training.
- Administer the parks and recreation budget to ensure that funds are spent efficiently and projects remain within budget.
Parks and Recreation Director Job Listings
Popular Skills for Parks and Recreation Director
Pay by Experience Level for Parks and Recreation Director
An entry-level Parks and Recreation Director with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $40,918 based on 14 salaries. An early career Parks and Recreation Director with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $44,404 based on 45 salaries. An experienced Parks and Recreation Director with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $63,922 based on 57 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $85,000.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 149 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$41k - $102k
$48k - $111k
$32k - $70k
$44k - $170k
$34k - $68k
$40k - $83k
$42k - $76k
$50k - $149k
$33k - $58k
$30k - $59k