Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Payroll Specialist is $19.78
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Payroll Specialists?
An early career Payroll Specialist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $19.01 based on 39 salaries. A mid-career Payroll Specialist with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $19.80 based on 11 salaries. An experienced Payroll …Read more
What Do Payroll Specialists Do?
Payroll specialists can be found in many industries from small businesses to large organizations. Job responsibilities often include payroll processing, maintaining personnel databases, and managing budgetary expenditures. Knowledge and experience with tax laws, union contracts, wage and hour laws, and common fiscal procedures are important. Most payroll specialists are expected to have a good understanding of budgetary operations. Payroll specialists report to a supervisor who oversees the …Read more
- Maintain current knowledge of IRS regulations.
- Compile and submit payroll deductions related check requests and payments.
- Maintain, prepare and process payroll for organization personnel.
- Audit employee timesheets for hours worked and accuracy.
- Prepare payroll related journal entries for period-end.