Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Police Lieutenant is $80,791
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Police Lieutenants?
An early career Police Lieutenant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $64,000 based on 6 salaries. A mid-career Police Lieutenant with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $65,596 based on 25 salaries. An experienced Police …Read more
What Do Police Lieutenants Do?
A police lieutenant is a law enforcement officer who typically has a number of supervisory responsibilities within a department. Generally, the lieutenant serves as a shift supervisor and handles scheduling responsibilities for shifts that conform with precinct regulations. These lieutenants oversee proper procedures for booking and holding of arrested persons and are also expected to assure and assist with progress in ongoing investigations. They must be available to assist officers in the …Read more
- Manage, motivate, train, evaluate and discipline team; schedule and prioritize weapons, firearms and other training activities.
- Supervise and participate in the daily care and maintenance of station, supplies, equipment and grounds.
- Direct all aspects of division during emergency, disaster and other crisis events.
- Assist in forecasting and administering budget processes.
- Attend and contribute to department meetings, and aid in the development and implementation of department goals and objectives.