The average salary for a School Superintendent is $118,392.
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education Find your market worth with a report tailored to you Negotiate your pay with confidence
What Do School Superintendents Do?
A school superintendent is the head administrator of a school system. These professionals normally answer to the school board and are hired by that body; they also can be fired or dismissed by the school board. Superintendents are in charge of hiring principals for all schools in their district, and they have final say on dismissing teachers or disciplining employees. This job also requires the superintendent to work with the local school board to develop and maintain the yearly district budget.…Read more
School Superintendent Tasks
- Oversee district staffing, recruit personnel, plan and carry out staff evaluations, and administer HR programs and policies.
- Work with the school board to develop and put into action a district's policies, vision, and goals.
- Meet with school administrators, teachers, parents, and the community to discuss and implement district goals.
- Prepare the school district budget, ensure expenditures stay within school board limits, and develop procedures for approving expenditures.
- Manage school property, buildings, and infrastructure, monitor building maintenance, renovation, and construction.
Job Satisfaction for School Superintendent
School Superintendent Job Listings
What Are Popular Skills for School Superintendents?
Skills in Operations Management and Curriculum Planning are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Team Leadership, Strategic Planning and Leadership.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for School Superintendents?
An entry-level School Superintendent with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $115,357 based on 5 salaries. An early career School Superintendent with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $106,470 based on 54 salaries. A mid-career School Superintendent with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $122,849 based on 46 salaries. An experienced School Superintendent with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $121,944 based on 89 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $127,193.
Pay Difference by Location
Employees with School Superintendent in their job title in Los Angeles, California earn an average of 35.1% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in New York, New York (26.7% more) and Chicago, Illinois (18.9% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Dallas, Texas (15.5% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 290 survey responses.