Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a School Superintendent is $119,953
What is the Pay by Experience Level for School Superintendents?
An entry-level School Superintendent with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $115,357 based on 5 salaries. An early career School Superintendent with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $108,922 based on 44 salaries. …Read more
What Do School Superintendents Do?
A school superintendent is the head administrator of a school system. These professionals normally answer to the school board and are hired by that body; they also can be fired or dismissed by the school board. Superintendents are in charge of hiring principals for all schools in their district, and they have final say on dismissing teachers or disciplining employees. This job also requires the superintendent to work with the local school board to develop and maintain the yearly district …Read more
- Oversee district staffing, recruit personnel, plan and carry out staff evaluations, and administer HR programs and policies.
- Work with the school board to develop and put into action a district's policies, vision, and goals.
- Meet with school administrators, teachers, parents, and the community to discuss and implement district goals.
- Prepare the school district budget, ensure expenditures stay within school board limits, and develop procedures for approving expenditures.
- Manage school property, buildings, and infrastructure, monitor building maintenance, renovation, and construction.