The average salary for an Early-Career School Superintendent is $103,353.
Is School Superintendent your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
$79k - $170k
$0 - $19k
$0 - $6k
$80k - $172k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for School Superintendent
A school superintendent is the head administrator of a school system. These professionals normally answer to the school board and are hired by that body; they also can be fired or dismissed by the school board. Superintendents are in charge of hiring principals for all schools in their district, and they have final say on dismissing teachers or disciplining employees. This job also requires the superintendent to work with the local school board to develop and maintain the yearly district budget.…Read more
School Superintendent Tasks
- Oversee district staffing, recruit personnel, plan and carry out staff evaluations, and administer HR programs and policies.
- Work with the school board to develop and put into action a district's policies, vision, and goals.
- Meet with school administrators, teachers, parents, and the community to discuss and implement district goals.
- Prepare the school district budget, ensure expenditures stay within school board limits, and develop procedures for approving expenditures.
- Manage school property, buildings, and infrastructure, monitor building maintenance, renovation, and construction.
School Superintendent Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for School Superintendent
Skills in Leadership, Strategic Planning, Operations Management and Team Leadership are correlated to pay that is above average.
Pay by Experience Level for School Superintendent
An entry-level School Superintendent with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $115,357 based on 5 salaries. A mid-career School Superintendent with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $121,293 based on 47 salaries. An experienced School Superintendent with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $119,929 based on 94 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $126,423.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 257 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$41k - $102k
$45k - $170k
$32k - $71k
$33k - $68k
$51k - $150k
$40k - $84k
$54k - $135k
$34k - $69k
$42k - $77k