Meat Clerk Salary
A Meat Clerk earns an average wage of $9.79 per hour. People in this job generally don't have more than 10 years' experience.
Job Description for Meat Clerk
Meat clerks are responsible for a variety of tasks pertaining to the sale of meat, either at a butcher or a meat section of a grocery store. These tasks include providing quality customer service, weighing and wrapping customers' orders, cutting meat to customers' exact specifications, and maintaining a high product knowledge to most effectively facilitate customer orders and respond to queries. Aside from serving customers directly, meat clerks also have responsibilities behind the scenes, including: placing and receiving orders of a necessary quantity; unloading and transporting deliveries of fresh meat and poultry; pricing and displaying items; examining and rotating stock to prevent products from perishing; maintaining and displaying a knowledge of food safety procedures; and maintaining total sanitation of both the store and its meat products. In some cases, however, the meat clerk will have to do little but serve customers and maintain cleanliness, with larger tasks such as ordering being left to managers and supervisors.Read More...
Meat clerks are usually hired by butchers or grocery stores, so their hours are usually during the day but may occasionally last until night. Depending on their employer, they may work either part-time or full-time hours. They are expected to have basic knowledge of mathematics for weighing meat and processing transactions, the ability to multitask and stay organized, great patience and listening skills, and quality customer service. A high school diploma is preferred but not usually required, and training is provided after being hired.
Meat Clerk Tasks
- Answer questions about products, the source of products, cooking, and preparation of meat, and general store information.
- Meet or exceed company guidelines about hygiene, presentation and customer service at meat case and workstations.
- Stock and rotate products in all displays, and ensure that none are past the sell-by date.
- Cut, grind, weigh, price, wrap, and package meat for customers.
- Drive, load, and unload pallet jacks or other equipment in the storage area, refrigerated area, and loading areas.
Meat Wrapper Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Popular Employer Salaries for Meat Clerk
Pay by Experience Level for Meat Clerk
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.