A senior director of strategy is responsible for continued sales growth and the company's public image. First and foremost, the senior director of strategy is a researcher and analyst. An effective senior director of strategy must constantly keep abreast of literature on marketing best practices. The senior director of strategy also conducts and manages focus groups to determine customer trends and perceptions.
Armed with knowledge about the market and customers' needs, the senior director of strategy performs strategic analysis to determine how to expand the business and increase profitability. The determined course of action may vary widely by company and over time. For example, in some situations, it may involve a marketing campaign in a new locale; in such situations, the senior director of strategy would work closely with marketing teams to implement and modify (as needed) the marketing campaign. Alternatively, the report may call for revamping an internal process or procedure to make the company more efficient; in this situation, the senior director of strategy would work as a project manager to develop a new process design, identify key metrics, delegate tasks, and implement, monitor, and update the new design.
Senior directors of strategy often work with senior managers and report directly to company executives. This position generally requires substantial experience and education in the field, although specific requirements vary depending on the company and the field in which it operates.
Senior Director of Strategy Tasks
- Identify opportunities for growth and develop plans to take advantage of them.
- Analyze trends in the industry and among competitors to develop proposals for objectives the company should implement.
- Evaluate potential business partnerships and decide which opportunities to pursue.
- Develop short and long term strategies for increasing a company’s business and market share.
- Monitor the effectiveness of strategies by comparing company performance with competitors and analyzing financial returns.