A security guard is responsible for performing regular security checks throughout the premises to prevent safety violations, theft, property damage or unauthorized access to the site. The security guard will also welcome guests and other visitors by giving requested or necessary information regarding the site as well as the surrounding areas.
The security guard also responds to all emergency situations (e.g., fire alarms, burglar alarm notifications, and medical emergency situations) and enforces traffic or parking rules on the site. Regular maintenance tasks and safety checks are the responsibility of the security guard, as well as inspecting for potential fire hazards.
The position will require both indoor and outdoor work during the inspections and security check rounds. This could entail working in inclement weather such as rain, snow, cold or heat, and the security guard may be on foot or in a vehicle for the designated area.
The security guard must warn violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking or carrying forbidden articles.
He or she must also observe departing personnel to protect against theft of company property and ensure that authorized removal of property is conducted within appropriate client requirements.
The security guard will need to investigate and prepare reports on accidents, incidents, and suspicious activities.
Hours are variable, and a security guard may work days, nights, weekends or holidays. He or she must be able to work with others or alone and should be willing and able to follow the guidelines in the procedure manual.
A high school diploma is required for this position, and previous experience as a security guard is preferred but not required. A security guard typically must be able to pass a background check.
Security Guard Tasks
- Respond to alarms and emergency situations.
- Make periodic tours to check for irregularities and to inspect protection devices and fire control equipment.
- Greet incoming guests and tenants, providing information regarding the site and surrounding area as requested by visitors.
- Guard and monitor premises to prevent theft, property destruction, violence or rules and safety violations.
- Perform fire prevention, safety and maintenance tasks and parking/traffic enforcement.