By Elise Oras, PayScale.com
Here are some salary trends, career stories and job news you may have missed this week.
- Smart phones, iPads, and laptops may provide convenience, but sometimes you just need to get away from email and social networks. Where are the best places to unplug?
- The Q3 PayScale Index was released last week and 14 out of 20 US metros featured had wage increases. Check out the top ten cities for wage growth, some of which may surprise you.
- The 2011-2012 NBA season is still up in the air, and NBA analyst, Charles Barkley, does not feel comfortable drawing a paycheck during the lockout. He is debating between deferring his payments or donating his salary to charity.
- While some industries like technology and energy saw wage increases, other industries like construction and manufacturing did not. Which jobs were hardest hit by the recession?
- Unless you have been hiding out, you’ve heard about the Occupy Wall Street protests that have been happening around the globe. Why are they protesting and why are they angry? Business Insider does a good job of breaking it down.
- While we’re on the Occupy subject, many celebs are lending their voice and support to the movement. Are they helping the cause, or hurting it?
- What are the Best Jobs in America? CNN Money lists the best jobs in different categories like Best Jobs for Saving the World, Best Jobs for Workers over 50, and Best Jobs for Working Parents.
- You may have noticed the color pink on buses, football shoes and candies these days. That is because October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. If you are looking to fight cancer head on, there are many jobs that are working to find a cure.